Are you feeling the pressure? That nagging end of the year feeling, the need to have the maximum amount of fun lined up for New Year’s Eve? If you are in Barcelona, you’re in luck, we’ll point you in the direction of the best restaurants, activities and parties on the night.
No Sour Grapes!
In Spain and Catalonia festivities come with their own customs. At the stroke of midnight you are “obligated” to consume 12 grapes, one for each strike. Washing it down with a glass of cava, the local sparkling wine, is recommended! With or without the wine, the 12 grapes, will supposedly bring 12 months of luck and prosperity.
On the other hand, If you are used to spectacular fireworks on New Year’s Eve you might be slightly disappointed, although there’s a good firework show on Plaza Espanya. Our theory is that the “Barcelonins” are all “blasted out” when they get to the end of the year as they are prone to setting off fireworks with any minimal excuse all year, with Midsummer’s Eve – Sant Joan as the, literal, highlight.
No worries though, our guide will help you make your own fireworks on the night!
New Year’s for Party Animals
- New Year’s on the Beach: Opium Barcelona – There’s a long standing tradition in Barcelona of taking your party to the beach, and why shouldn’t you? With kilometers of clean, white sand beaches it would be madness not to take advantage! The Opium nightclub has been a hotspot in Barcelona for a long time, and the beachfront location by the Hotel Arts is unbeatable. If you want to dance away the last night of 2018, Opium is a classy setting with deep grooves. Tickets from 50€ here.
- Hot Club Night: Razzmatazzz – This club, in the beach adjacent Poble Nou neighbourhood is one of the city’s premier concert halls and nightclubs. For New Year’s the club invites you to explore different concepts in the different spaces of the club, so you can get your own personal groove on! Tickets from 44,50 € here.
- New Year’s Party with a View: Mirablau – As settings go, it’s hard to match the Mirablau restaurant & nightclub up on the Tibidabo hillside. It is almost hanging in air over the city, and needless to say the panoramic views are perfect! Tickets from 44€ here.
New Year’s for Couples
- Restaurant with a view: Torre d’Alta Mar – For many, getting a new perspective on a year, means getting up in higher altitudes. There’s also something undeniably romantic with sharing a meal while sharing a view. This restaurant, specialising in modern Catalan cuisine, delivers for the eyes as well as the gut, situated in one of the harbour towers for the cable car that runs between the harbour and the Montjuic hill. Book a table here.
- A Romantic Evening: Restaurante Afrodita – Located in a backstreet in the romantic Gothic Quarter, this restaurant is a good choice for a more intimate setting on the big night, as the name suggests. Reserve a table here.
- Dance the night away – Retro Style: Hotel Barcelona Center – “Back to the 80s & 90s – Disco Funk and Classic House” are on the menu at this stylish hotel, located, naturally, in the Barcelona center, the Eixample district. Tickets from 20€ here.
New Year’s for Families
- A Fun Tapas Celebration: Restaurante Orio Gótic – Kids tend to love tapas, and going to a tapas restaurant in the Barcelona Old Town should be a fun night out for the whole family! At this restaurant they serve Basque inspired tapas in an informal and lively atmosphere. Reserve table here.
- Fireworks at Plaza Espanya – As mentioned, midnight marks blast off for the official city firework show. This is a must-see when traveling with children. Keep in mind though, it gets crowded, so get their early, find a good spot, and make sure the whole family is well clothed and fed for the night!
- Restaurant with Harbour Views: Restaurante 1881 – Trying out some traditional Mediterranean dishes while enjoying the views over the Barcelona harbour is an activity the whole family can be on board with! This is a spacious, open restaurant and as such a good choice for bringing children. Reserve a table here.
So, there you have it, our insider’s tips on how to enjoy your New Year’s Eve in Barcelona.